Monday, November 1, 2010

I love journalism



It took me a relatively long time to choose journalism as a career path.

I thought about it in high school. For a career assignment, I made a nice poster board featuring a rather large picture of Peter Mansbridge in the middle. I also interviewed a local Killarney Guide reporter to get the scoop on what reporters do everyday.

But there were parts that didn't appeal to me. I was fairly shy, so I was nervous about talking to people that might not want to talk to me. And I wasn't crazy about the hours. I wasn't convinced.

So I went to Brandon University and got an arts degree in English and philosophy. I loved university and was sad when my four years were over. I was even more sad when I found out there aren't many jobs for people with English degrees!

So I took a year off and thought about my options. Journalism was still in the back of my mind. I watched the news and subscribed to the Brandon Sun and I was addicted to documentaries (still am).

As I thought about possible careers that matched my strengths, I dismissed many because I didn't think they would keep me interested enough. I loved university because I was always learning something new and I wanted that in a career.

So I applied for CreComm and decided to try journalism, hoping that it would give me a chance to keep learning.

And I'm so pleased with the results.

In completing school assignments and throughout my ten week stint with the Brandon Sun this summer, I realized that journalists have to become instant experts.

One day I'd be assigned a story about a new online childcare registry that hopes to solve the province's daycare space shortages. Then the next day I'd be writing about a textbook rental program at the U of W. And the next day I'd be writing about an MS patient traveling to Poland to receive a controversial surgery.

It's not always thrilling, but you learn something new!

In the past week, I've done radio live hits from an election, a print story about a murder trial and edited a TV story about the city bringing in maple trees to replace dying elms.

No, the hours aren't ideal. And you have to do some tough interviews. And getting information from the government? Not easy.

But I love to learn. And journalism gives me the perfect opportunity. I feel so lucky to have found a career I love.

(Image from zazzle.com)

2 comments:

  1. You're a great writer, I think you'll go far in journalism. As for being shy, I'm sure you, and all of us in CreComm have come a long way because of streeters!

    ReplyDelete