Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Large-scale editing



Over the past month, I've been working on editing the novella I wrote for my Independent Professional Project (IPP). It has been an arduous undertaking.

At first, I was very bitter about the editing process. My thought process? I just wrote an 80-page book? Isn't that good enough?

But once I read through Chris Petty's comments on the full draft and read through it myself, I realized my themes could be much stronger with a little more extra work.

And then I realized I needed to be more careful about tense.

And point-of-view.

And conversational flow.

And showing things rather than telling them.

And character descriptions.

And the list goes on.

The most effective way to look for those things is to do them one at a time, so it looks like I'll be reading my book quite a few more times before Christmas.

So it better be good. There's nothing I hate more than reading a bad book.

No comments:

Post a Comment