Monday, November 8, 2010

Can journalists have a work-life balance?

As I think more about my future as a journalist and read more of the Globe and Mail's feature on work-life balance, I can't keep from worrying about whether I will be able to be successful in my professional and personal life.

Maybe a little background will help explain my paranoia.

I grew up Killarney - a town of 2,500 people where barely anything is open past suppertime. My parents are both teachers. My dad full time, my mom part time. Whenever my siblings and I were home, they were home. We had weekends off together, summer holidays off together and Christmas holidays off together. But I didn't realize I was lucky.

I have always known journalists work odd hours, but I got my first reality check a couple weeks ago when I agreed to work for the Brandon Sun over Christmas holidays. I worked there this summer and loved it. It's great experience and I need the money.

But when I say work over Christmas, I mean over Christmas. I work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

Not the ideal hours, but something I know I need to get used to. I think my mom's a little crushed, but she'll get over it. And I really don't mind this year. I'll miss spending the day with my family, but things change, and I'm old enough now to accept it. I also realize a lot of other professionals work over Christmas - nurses, doctors, cops, etc.

But how long am I going to want to work odd hours and holidays? And will it be enough to pull me out of the profession and perhaps, (choke), over to the dark side of PR?

It's something I'll have to get used to and see how well I can tolerate it. And I'll get my first opportunity this Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. For Christmas, I hope you get the exclusive on a massivley huge groundbreaking story.

    ReplyDelete