Wednesday, October 6, 2010

8 Things I Learned at 2 Mayoral Debates

Today I attended two mayoral debates — one at the Red River College Princess Street campus this morning and one at the Franco-Manitoba Cultural Centre this evening. I learned 8 things. (Well, likely more than 8, but it's my favourite number!)



1. A debate featuring mayoral candidates doesn't always mean every mayoral candidate will be invited.

Rav Gill and Brad Gross were not invited to the CJOB RRC debate. But they were almost completely ignored at the debate they were invited to. I'm not sure which was more awkward for them. Though I do think they should always be invited.

2. Who hosts the debate makes a big difference.


The tone of the debate hosted by CJOB's Richard Cloutier was much different the tone of the debate hosted by Kim Babij of Shaw. While I think part of that was due to the audience and the medium, both tried to keep the debate moving along and make it happen on time and I think Babij did a more effective and professional job of it. She let them speak, but firmly cut them off at time, while Cloutier rushed the candidates through their answers with overbearing hand signals.



3. You can tell a long-time politician from a real estate agent.

Sorry Brad and Rav, but you just don't have the political rhetoric of Sam and Judy.

4. Cheap jabs get cheap laughs.

Sam to Judy:

"When someone calls me "my dear Sam Katz" it's like being scolded by my grandmother!"

“Thanks, Mom.”




5. Broad questions get rehearsed answers.

ie: What are you going to do about crime?

Candidate's eyes light up. Well... (insert heavily rehearsed platform here.)

6. Having a panel of well-informed, city hall beat journalists keeps the candidates on their toes.

The evening debate featured harder-hitting questions that required candidates to speak off the cuff and often left them unable to dodge questions (though they always managed to dance around some!) Less platform = less repetitive and more interesting!



7. Debates = Press Conferences


They get a bunch of media in a room to get out the politicians' key messages.

8. While I like politics and have an interest in political journalism, I think it would make me cynical.

Politicians rehearse their answers and stick to them. They are tight-lipped about speaking off the cuff, even though their electorate would appreciate an honest answer. The PR of politics sickens me and I don't know how long I could put up with it.

But at the same time, I think the monotony of debates like the two I attended today would encourage me to work harder to find interesting way to cover elections and get voters important information in perhaps a more audience-friendly format.

Photos (in order of appearance): Sam Katz (from winnipeg.ca), Judy Wasylycia-Leis (from action.org), Rav Gill (from winnipeg.ctv.ca) and Brad Gross (from winnipeg.ctv.ca).

2 comments:

  1. I like your optimistic conclusion.

    As for Cloutier, his "overbearing hand signals" are fine for a radio audience, but they look overbearing to a studio audience.

    ReplyDelete