Wednesday, January 6, 2010

If only we all had the option to prorogue...


Image from canada.com

Heading into the New Year, Stephen Harper decided it would be the best thing for Canada if he (and consequently, the rest of the federal government) took a time out to think about the economy (no doubt one of his resolutions). So he called up GG Michaelle Jean and asked if it would be OK for him to take a little time off work. She agreed, and parliament has been prorogued until after the Olympics.

What's that? No, of course I believe you, Stephen. You really need the time for reflection. You aren't trying to evade serious allegations of torture in Afghanistan. And you aren't giving yourself time to stack the Senate either. Yes, darn those slanderous and phony allegations!

But it got me thinking.

How convenient would it be if I had the ability to prorogue the daunting, pressing obligations of my own life.

(Cue flowy "what-if" music signaling a dream sequence...)

Flashback to Monday morning. It's the first day back to school. 6:45. My alarm goes off. I roll over and hit snooze.

But I can't fall back asleep. I had a great holiday. I'm not ready to go back to school. Not ready for the homework or the early mornings. I've had it good for the last three weeks. AND I haven't started thinking about my IPP project yet.

Oh, the challenges we CreComms face! The harsh scrutiny of our work. The criticism and accountability for our actions. Never mind the fact I wanted to be the program! Stephen Harper wanted to be prime minister!

And I'm sure Stephen Harper had a good holiday, too. Yes, I think he just felt the same way I did. He didn't feel like going back.

The more I think about it, the more justified I feel in what I am to do next.

I pick up the phone. Hello, Michaelle?

(Repeat of flowy "what-if" music, signaling the end of dream sequence...)

Well, I can dream, can't I?

Stephen Harper had a dream. But he had something I didn't. A direct line to the governor general.

No comments:

Post a Comment