Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cars, kindness, and CAA...

I got my car in April.

Honda had been calling over and over again, and I went in numerous times to look at used Civics, and my patience was wearing thin. Every single one I had looked at (a) had rust around the shocks because they came from down east, or (b) looked like a car only grandmothers want to drive.

But that one, fateful morning, I dragged myself out of bed before work, and there he was. My black, 4-door, automatic, Honda Civic with a sunroof and spoiler. I was in love.

I took him home the next day, and christened him Sid the Kid.

You see, he needed a name. My old car had a name, and it was a 1992 Honda Accord. But he was christened Prince William by a few of my friends and I when we took him on a 19-hour round trip to Flin Flon and back and he performed regally.

But my new car was young, sleek, and accelerated quickly. So I decided it was only fitting to name him after Sidney Crosby, my favorite hockey player.



Sid the Kid and I had a great nine months together. We made numerous trips between Killarney, Brandon, and Winnipeg. He is quick and agile and compact. I thought he could never let me down.

But this week, things went sour.

Monday night: I went to the school board meeting and came home to write my story for journalism, due at 8 am the next day.

Tuesday morning, 7am: I head out to my car to drive to school and hand in my story. I unlock the door. I put in the key and turn the engine.

Nothing. Well, not nothing. A bunch of weird, frightening noises, but no turn over.

That was our first fight.

Luckily, that night, a nice kind stranger stopped me in the parking lot and said he noticed I couldn't get my car started in the morning. Did I need a boost? I did, but I had no cables. So nice stranger from my building drove to his friend's house, picked up some cables, and came back and boosted my car.

I forgave Sid the Kid. It wasn't his fault. That happens to cars when lights get left on.

But then, the next night, I head to Sid the Kid to take him to the grocery store. I get in, turn on the engine, and nothing but the same weird, frightening noises.

But there were no lights on. Why Sid, why would you do this to me?

Luckily, my same neighbor was pulling into the parking lot at this time, and he boosted me again, but he told me he thought my battery was shot and I needed a new one.

Oh the betrayal I felt! But you know how it is. Cars are great. When they work. When they don't, they're a pain in the rear.



But last night, after I couldn't go for groceries, I turned on the TV and saw a commercial for CAA. If your battery died, they would come to your house and install a new one for you.

So today I called. And they did! Free of charge except for the price of the battery, which they gave me a discount on because I'm a CAA member. The whole thing was done in an hour.

And Sid the Kid is back up and running.

So thank you kind stranger from my building.

And thank you CAA.

You saved a very important relationship.


(Image from sportsillustrated.cnn.com)

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling, I left my lights on today (this is so common for me that I once told the CAA lady my licsence plate # and she said "let me guess... a boost")but "Alexa the Great" happened to be close by and saved me.
    She is now my personal hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this! I hope you turned in your council meeting paper on time even though Sid let you down.

    ReplyDelete