Sunday, March 6, 2011

Like trying new things? Be a journalist.

In reflection, I think too many of my blogs have been about my concerns about journalism and my future in it. But on Friday, I got another good reminder about why I do it and thought I should share.

For a sports journalism assignment, I decided to try fencing - and share it with an audience. Keith came with me to shoot (and I owe him one), and I got suited up and took a few lessons in the basics.

Fencing has always been one of those things I've been interested in, but didn't know much about.

And if I hadn't gotten this sports j assignment, I likely would never have tried it.

It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about the sport - the best way to describe it is a physical chess match.

So here's to trying new things. And to journalism for helping me do it.


(Image from cbc.ca)

No comments:

Post a Comment