Tuesday, September 21, 2010

School House Rock: My First Grammar Lessons



I think everything should be taught through song.

OK, so maybe you'd expect that coming from someone who loves Glee, (which premieres tonight, Tuesday Sept. 21 on Fox, by the way), but music really helps solidify information into your brain.

Take, for example, my first lessons in grammar, which I learned from School House Rock -- short, informative songs that taught helpful grammar lessons about conjunctions, interjections and how a bill becomes a law -- in the middle of my Saturday morning cartoons.

Twenty years later, I still remember the "Conjunction junction, what's your function?" song whenever I think of conjunctions.

Grammar is important to learn when you're in elementary and middle school, but (conjunction!) let's face it. It's dry and (another conjunction!) boring.

Associating a tune with words makes things so much easier to memorize. Case in point: compare the number of song lyrics you remember from your childhood to how many grammar rules you remember.

My point? We need to bring back School House Rock. Don't believe me? Check out their informative and catchy lesson on interjections! Wow!

3 comments:

  1. Very entertaining video! How I wished I watched that when I was little. I agree with you- it's so easier to learn things (especially about grammar) when it's put into a song... we remember it more easily that way :) Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recalling Heather's post and presentation last week, I wonder what we learn from ungrammatical but euphonious lyrics and titles such as It Ain't Me, Babe (by Bob Dylan).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a blog post on this topic a year ago or something - it's how I learned grammar as well. I saw Bob Dorough at the Asper Centre a few years ago, and he played Three is a Magic Number, Conjunction Junction, and My Hero Zero. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete